SPONSORED BY FRANK R. BROWNELL III
Lisa Hasson, Director
Celebrating its 43rd year during the 2017 season, Des Moines Metro Opera's Apprentice Artist Program is a comprehensive career training program that bridges the gap between academic studies and a professional career in opera for some of the brightest and best talents in America. It is one of the oldest, largest and most respected programs of its kind in the United States. Auditions are heard annually in the fall of each year. Des Moines Metro Opera’s Apprentice Artist Program is a proud participant in Opera America’s Singer Training Forum.
Members of the Apprentice Artist Program are a diverse group of singers representing many ages and educational backgrounds.
- The average age of participants in 2014 was 26 and ranged from 22-31, though there is no age restriction.
- 75% of participants have earned two degrees.
- 50% of participants have previously completed young artist programs such as those in Santa Fe, Utah, Central City, Chautauqua, Seattle, Glimmerglass and St. Louis.
Members of the Apprentice Artist Program receive:
- Coaching in standard and contemporary operatic scenes.
- Career training seminars in acting, body movement, diction and languages, audition techniques, stage combat, vocal wellness and life in the business and various topics.
- Consideration for comprimario roles or covers of leading roles in mainstage productions. The 2017 season will feature Puccini's Turandot, Sondheims’s A Little Night Music and Britten's Billy Budd.
- Chorus participation in the 2017 mainstage productions.
- Opportunities to be heard by artist representatives and other companies that include: The Metropolitan Opera, Lyric Opera of Chicago, Florida Grand Opera, Utah Opera, Tulsa Opera, Opera Omaha, The Minnesota Opera, Sarasota Opera and Kentucky Opera, Austin Lyric Opera and several artists representatives.
- Participation in the “Stars of Tomorrow” concert with the Festival Orchestra.
- Housing is provided to all participants. Additional stipends are available to artists who are assigned cover and comprimario roles.
2017 Apprentice Artists
Charles H. Eaton
Jóhann Schram Reed
2017 Apprentice Artist Program Staff
Conductors and Coaches
John Spencer IV
DEATH BY ARIA Apprentice Artist Season Kickoff
Saturday, May 27, 2017, 6:30pm
Blank Performing Arts Center, Simpson College
The 40 aspiring singers selected as 2017 Apprentice Artists open the season in the theatre lobby with their signature aria. Come early, leave if you must, but enjoy all (or a portion of) the evening's music!
STARS OF TOMORROW Apprentice Artist and Orchestra Concert
Wednesday, July 12, 2017, 7:00pm
Sheslow Auditorium, Drake University
Adults $25, Students $10
Join our apprentice artists and resident opera orchestra in a concert of your most beloved opera duets and ensembles.
Click here to purchase tickets!
Apprentice Artist Program 40th Anniversary